Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The tide turned tonight...

Over the weekend, I ventured to Raleigh, NC for the Pitt/NC State football game. I stayed with a friend of mine and also about 10 people from DC made the trip. So, I got to hang out with everyone. It was a lot of fun despite the rain throughout the entire game and the fact that Pitt had a big lead, but ended up losing. When I came home, I worked Monday and Tuesday. Monday night I went to see the movie, "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs." I laughed a lot! Tonight I played softball along the Potomac River and was shivering in the cold wind.

So, I dealt with rain, meatballs, and wind all in the past few days. But, I loved every minute of it.

Tonight after softball, I made my ordinary Tuesday night trip to the grocery store to pick up my chemo staples (bland, soft food that is high in calories). While carting down the aisle, I lost it. The tears just kept coming. As you have read, I cry often. But tonight was different. This cry was because I don't want to head to chemo tomorrow. I have felt so good the past few days and now it has to end -- as it does every two weeks.

I normally try not to think about it at all and just show up at the infusion center pretending to be naive about what will occur (if that makes any sense). But it got the best of me tonight. Even as I type this, my eyes are soggy. It just sucks only feeling good for eight out of every 14 days.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there!

Jen Bretsch said...

You're doing great and it's such terrific news that your platelet count is so high!

womenwithcancer said...

It's okay to have sucky days. Chemo is no trip to the spa. Just know we're all pulling for you and your buddies on 5N look forward to seeing you on Wednesdays.