Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It's a new world for me...

Two months ago, I met a girl online and did my usual confession of being on chemo. I was a little startled with her reply that she was also on chemo. She doesn't have one of the mainstream cancers (breast, colon, lung, etc.), so I cannot remember what it's called. Since she lives about an hour away, we have only met up a few times. She goes to Johns' Hopkins for her chemo embolizations to her liver.

I hadn't heard from her in over a week (which is not unusual.) Last night, I got a text from her. It turns out that during her 2nd embolization, she went into cardiac arrest (age 43). Now she is in Little Rock getting vaccinations and radiation.

Earlier in the day, I received an email about an upcoming wake for a girl (age ~22) who was in my survivor running group. She decided on Hospice and a day later passed.

It used to be that I would just "wake" up in the morning and maybe later do some "cardio" at the gym. I was ignorant to everything going on around me. Now that I have ties to it, I'm front and center to all of it. I don't want to be, but there is no choice any more.

No comments: