Friday, August 8, 2008

Date on the calendar was circled...

To those of you who don't know me this might sound strange, but since the day I was diagnosed with cancer, I set one goal. That goal was to be out of chemo and done with surgeries by tomorrow. Why tomorrow? This weekend is the annual softball tournament for all the DC alumni teams. There are over 65 teams (Arizona, Wisconsin, Florida, UConn, everywhere around the country). We play in a double-elimination tournament all weekend and it's so much fun! Hundreds of players all playing, eating burgers, drinking beer (Gatorade for me).

Last year, my Pittsburgh team went into the tournament as the # 1 seed overall as we were 14-0. We won our first four games and then I injured my leg and couldn't pitch as well. Being our only pitcher, we lost the next two games and were done. We finished 5th out of 65 teams, but that hasn't sat well with me and I want another chance.

Normally after liver surgery, you're supposed to wait six weeks before physical activity. The doctor cleared me at about 4.5 weeks. So, I had this week to lift light weights and actually pick up a softball and a bat. That's it...one week to get ready after major surgery. Great. The pros even get a month of spring training!

Tomorrow, I'll be Pittsburgh's starting pitcher and I can't tell you how good that feels. I've cried several times this week just thinking about it and everything I went through to get to this point. It's going to be so great to be out there helping my team. Surviving cancer and coming back to play is a nice story, but once I throw the first pitch, none of that counts. I'm simply a player who needs to play well no matter what has transpired.

Even though most of you won't be there, I know you will be cheering for me. Thank you so much!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hail to Pitt!

CalvinHobbes said...

Good luck! Sam and I will be cheering for you and the entire Pitt team. (Btw, this is the first tournament I've missed since the team was formed - - - hopefully I'm a bad luck charm.)