Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Visit with my oncologist...

I went to see my oncologist at Georgetown today. As he walked in, he was reading the reports from my surgeon at Johns Hopkins. He said, "you're living data." It turns out that the surgical procedures I had done the past few months were invented by French doctors only a couple of years ago. Not a lot of people have had this done. What if I had developed cancer at age 34 instead of 38? wow...

Up until today, I was being told that the normal routine for chemotherapy is to receive 10 to 12 cycles (5 or 6 months) total. I did six cycles from January thru March. So, I was geared up for only two or three more months and finishing by Halloween or Thanksgiving. but, my oncologist said he wants to give me a full six months more starting this month. I was not mentally prepared to hear that. A few extra months may not seem like much, but unless you've been on it, you can't relate. I really need to psych myself up for this and get mentally tough. It's going to be very hard at times.

On the bright side, I will be receiving some different chemo drugs this time. The one that caused my hair to fall out is no longer in the equation!

=:-) <--- me with hair

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I work with your Uncle Jack in real estate. You are truely an inspiration! Your story is so amazing. I see from your blog that you are frustrated with your upcoming chemo round. Try to keep your chin up. Look on the bright side that this may be your last chemo round, ever! So many of us have been affected by cancer, either personally or through a friend or family member. Please know that you are not alone in your journey. Remain positive and continue to be an inspiration to others, especially newly diagnosed cancer patients who are about to begin their journey into the unknown. Keep on trecking through this journey and remain positive and optimistic. You have already beaten many odds! You need to remain positive and focused to beat the remaining!