Friday, February 8, 2008

Out of the hospital...

It turns out that my white cell count was really low, making me susceptible to everything out there...any cold or flu virus riding on anyone's finger tip or nostril. Its called being neutropenic. (That name sounds like a face-cleansing creme to me). Everyone who visited me in the hospital had to wear a mask -- including the doctors and nurses. I felt like John Travolta in "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble." Everyone forgets that Travolta was the original "Bubble Boy" ever since the Seinfeld episode appeared about the same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtO4G9nmGaI&feature=related

Well, my counts came up and I'm home from the hospital now. My chemotherapy is pushed back a week, meaning my CAT scan is also delayed a week. The CAT scan is now the 20th. So, all of you who were thinking "shrinkage" for me have another week to organize your thoughts into well, thought-out plans of attack.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Hey Shawn,

If you want to have some fun during the CAT scan, ask the techs for the special I.V. It's some really weird stuff --- the consent form asks if you're allergic to shellfish and iodine --- that gives you this warm sensation. Quite gizarre on top of the barium (it is barium, right?) smoothie. Go for the berry.

As always, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Elaine